7 Unexpected Finds in Hannibal!
Yes, you will find Mark Twain history and the Mississippi River, obviously. (If this wasn’t obvious, you may want to hit up our attractions pages and then re-visit this blog post.) But here are some things you may not expect to find in the town that inspired Mr. Twain.
1. Missouri’s oldest and newest show caves. Mark Twain Cave celebrated 200 years of discovery in 2019, and in the same complex, you can tour an all-natural showcave, Cameron Cave, Memorial Day – Labor Day! (It is closed during the winter to allow bats to hibernate.) You can enjoy a glass of wine at Cave Hollow West Winery while you are at the complex touring the caves as well!
2. Jewelry created by Indigenous people of North America. Native American Trading Company boasts a huge selection of hand-crafted sterling silver creations. In addition to the unique styles, rare varieties of turquoise from mines in the American Southwest are available.
3. The Becky Thatcher House. Yes, we know Becky Thatcher is a character in Mark Twain’s books. However, she IS based on a real person, and her home is part of the Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum Complex! Touring the Becky Thatcher House will give you a glimpse of childhood during the mid 1850s, from home life and chores to schooling!
4. Fireworks. They’re not just for the 4th of July! Unlike some of our less-explosive neighboring states, fireworks are indeed legal for out-of-state visitors to purchase in Missouri year-round. That’s why we have The Fireworks Superstore – Missouri’s largest fireworks showroom. Boom.
5. Stage performances…by Mark Twain. Hannibal is proud to boast TWO Mark Twain performers, which bring the stage shows Twain was so well known for during his lifetime back for audiences today! Check out both Mark Twain Live at Cave Hollow Theater and Richard Garey’s Mark Twain Himself at the Planter’s Barn Theater for two unique live performances!
6. Tiffany Stained-Glass Windows. A tour of Rockcliffe Mansion will immerse you in rich architectural detail of late Victorian style, complete with many original furnishings and beautiful Louis Comfort Tiffany stained glass windows! As a result, this guided tour is a real treat!
7. Steve McQueen’s Motorcycle. This is just one of the treasures you’ll find at Karlock’s Kars and Pop Culture Attraction & Gift Shop. Over 10,000 square feet of artifacts, movie memorabilia, classic muscle cars, vintage toys and much more will have you oooh-ing and ahhh-ing all through this unique attraction!